One very important measure that you can take to protect yourself and the ones
you love is to have and follow a carefully thought-out and practiced escaped
- Bring all the people in your household together and write out your plan.
- Make sure all memebers of the household understand the escape plan.
- Choose and outside meeting place away from the home where all family members can
meet after they have escaped.
- Walk through your home and make sure all escape routes are easily accessible and
that doors and windows open easily.
- Make sure your street number is visible from the street.
Practicing your fire escape plan will help your family familiarize themselves
with the plan and minimize panic and increase chances of getting out safely.
- Put your plan to the test by holding a family fire drill at least twice a year.
- It is a good idea to start your drill at night as that is when most fires occur.
- During the drill, make certain that everyone, especially children, are awakened
by the sound of the smoke detector.
- While performing the drill, everyone should be practice crawling on their hands
For further tips on conducting home fire drills, click here!