College Campus Fire Safety Tips
- Look for dormitories or off campus apartments with fire sprinkler systems.
ake sure your housing has smoke alarms inside each bedroom, outside every
sleeping area and on each level. For the best protection, all smoke alarms
should be interconnected so that when one sounds, they all sound.
- Test smoke alarms at least monthly.
- Never remove batteries or disable a fire alarm.
- Learn your building's evacuation plan and practice all drills as if they were
the real thing.
- If you live off campus, have a fire escape plan with two ways out of every room.
- When the smoke or fire alarm sounds, get out of the building quickly and stay
- During a power outage, use a flashlight.
- Cook only where it is permitted.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking.
- Cook only when you are alert, not sleepy or drowsy from exhaustion, medicine, or
- Check with your local fire department about any restrictions before using a
barbeque grill, fire pit or chimenea.
- Check your school's rules before using electrical appliances in your room.
- Use a surge protector for your computer and plug the protector directly into an